RESTRICTIONS ON LIQUIDS IN HAND LUGGAGE
When you go through security, all your liquids must now be in container of under 100ml and must be presented separately in a transparent resealable plastic bag measuring approximately 20cm x 20cm. In order to avoid slowing down security procedures and to avoid having your products confiscated, we recommend you read this important information.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
To which flights does this apply?
All flights leaving from European Union airports (as well as Norway, Iceland and Switzerland), regardless of their destination, including domestic flights, and regardless of the airline’s nationality.
- If the first flight departed from a country in the European Union (as well as Norway, Iceland and Switzerland) and if your second flight is also departing from a European Union airport, or an airport in Norway, Iceland or Switzerland:
You can purchase items onboard or in airport shops. They will be placed in a tamper-proof plastic bag.
- If you are connecting to another flight in a country outside of the European Union: You should check with the airline beforehand to see if there are any restrictions.
- If your first flight departed from a non-European Union country (other than Norway, Iceland and Switzerland) and that your second flight is departing from a European Union airport (as well as Norway, Iceland and Switzerland): We recommend that, before leaving, you place all your liquids into your hold luggage, including those purchased in airport shops outside of the European Union. Otherwise, they will be confiscated at the security checks when you transfer, apart from those that fit inside the transparent, resealable plastic bag measuring approximately 20cm x 20cm.
Which products are forbidden?
Liquids, sprays, gels and pastes: water, perfume, drinks, lotions, creams, shower gel, shampoo, mascara, soup, syrup, toothpaste, liquid soap, deodorants, etc.
What is the largest bottle or tube I can take on the plane?
All containers must hold no more than 100ml.
What is the maximum size of the plastic bag?
The transparent plastic bag (like a Ziploc bag) must measure approximately 20cm x 20cm. A bag can contain several items, tubes, bottles and sprays.
Where can I get this plastic bag?
In the UK, you can buy this plastic bag (freezer bag or Ziploc bag) in the shops and supermarkets. Most airports in the European Union, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland also provide these bags. However, this is a service provided to passengers. As it is not compulsory, bags may not be available everywhere all the time.
We recommend you plan ahead.
Which exceptions are authorised?
- Liquid medicine: you are allowed to carry liquid medicine in your hand luggage (insulin, syrups), but you will need to present supporting documentation or a copy of your prescription. There are no restrictions on solid medicinal products (tablets and capsules).
Il n’y a aucune restriction pour les médicaments solides (comprimés et gelules).
- Baby food: There are no restrictions on baby food, providing the quantity carried is relevant to the length of the journey. Do not forget to bring resealable containers: you may be asked to taste the baby food!
GOING THROUGH AIRPORT SECURITY
- Take off your coat or jacket.
- Remove these items from your carry-on:
- All electrical items: laptops, large cameras, DVD players, etc.
- Your transparent plastic bag containing your liquids.
- Your medicine and supporting documentation or copy of your prescription.
- Your baby food.
- Items purchased in airport shops, which the salesperson should have put in a tamper-proof plastic bag.
Make sure you ask before purchasing anything.
Any purchases made after security are not affected by these rules and are only subject to customs regulations.
Careful: not every shop will provide you with a tamper-proof plastic bag.
Be careful with connecting flights: ask before you buy anything.
REMINDER: Generally, try to put all your liquids into your hold luggage, except for products you really need during the flight.
If you are travelling without hold luggage and only with hand luggage, all your liquids will need to be placed in a plastic bag (like a Ziploc) measuring approximately 20cm x 20cm.
NEW SECURITY MEASURES FOR LIQUIDS, GELS, CREAMS, PASTES AND SPRAYS
The following items are allowed in your hand luggage:
Containers holding no more than 100ml and placed in a single, transparent, resealable plastic bag measuring approximately 20cm x 20cm.
One bag per person.
The following items are forbidden:
- Products placed in open or opaque plastic bags.
- Products piled or stacked
- Containers holding more than 100ml.
- Baby food needed for the journey.
- Liquid medicine with supporting documentation or a copy of your prescription.
TABLE OF ITEMS THAT MAY BE RESTRICTED BY THE REGULATIONS GOVERNING LIQUID SUBSTANCES
Items that are not in this table are authorised to go through security regardless of weight or volume.
Products that may be restricted (2):
Products that may be exempted (3):
- (1) Subject to compliance with restrictions concerning hazardous goods (inflammable liquids, corrosives, explosives, neutralising or incapacitating substances, etc.)
- (2) Restricted products: quantities limited to 100ml (or 100g) per container, carried in a single bag per passenger containing no more than 1L in total.
- (3) Products authorised on board in quantities necessary for the length of the journey, to be removed from hold luggage and presented at security